My first ARM project

I’ve been trying off and on for years to get into ARM development. But my insistence on using FOSS for development has proven a difficult hurdle to overcome. But recently I acquire an STM32F0-Discovery board when they were offering samples. I’m proud to say I managed to get to a point where prototyping for the hardware on a Linux box is easy. I’ve written a bit about it here, and have posted a basic template (including Makefiles) in a github repository.

Above you can see my first working project. I ported it over from an AVR project, it’s the discovery board driving a Nokia 3595 LCD screen. It’s nice to have a microcontroller which is already at the 3V levels this display expects. Right now I’m addressing it via software, but I plan to migrate to hardware SPI and look into generating video. We’ll see.

One of my other near-term plans is to put up a quick post about how to use my template to compile the STM example code. I found that the image shipping on the boards is just a bit different from the source they provided in the firmware package.